Card and PIN Verification Services
Most every Visa transaction employs one of three core fraud-prevention tools. In this module we talk about each of them—Card Verification Value (CVV), Card Verification Value 2 (CVV2), and PIN Verification Value (PVV)—and how they are used in different environments to verify the card or cardholder at the point of sale and/or ATM. This course is included in the Maximizing the Value of VisaNet bundled course.
1 course, 30 minutes, 6 month unlimited access after purchase.
- Card Verification Value (CVV): In this segment we talk about the location of the CVV, benefits of using CVV, how it is calculated, and how the verification process works.
- Service Codes: Here we explain how this element of the magnetic-stripe data is used, what each position of the data field designates, and how these elements can influence authorization decisions.
- Card Verification Value 2 (CVV2): Learn how CVV2 is used specifically in card-absent environments—i.e., mail/phone order and ecommerce transactions—to prevent fraudulent use of account numbers.
- PIN Verification Values: Learn about the PIN encryption, what a PIN Verification Value (PVV) is, issuer options for verification, and how PVV is used to validate the PIN and protect cardholders’ personal data.
Who Should View
- Card center managers and staff with at least two years of experience
- Individuals responsible for authorization services
- Team members from operations, risk management, or customer service